gbadev.org forum archive

This is a read-only mirror of the content originally found on forum.gbadev.org (now offline), salvaged from Wayback machine copies. A new forum can be found here.

DS development > NDS Tutorials and Misc. Dev Links

#69560 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:03 pm

DS tutorials:

Recommended NDS Tutorial -
http://www.patatersoft.info/manual.html

Beginners DS dev page -
http://www.double.co.nz/nintendo_ds/index.html

OpenGL on DS -
http://ethos.oddigytitanium.com/

Another DS 3d Tutorial -
http://delfare.pizz.biz/tutoEN.htm

Aaron Recomends This Which Is Not As Dated (PA_lib) -
http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php

PA_lib DS Tutorial -
http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/PA_Lib/

C++ Based DS Dev -
http://www.dspassme.com/programmers_guide/tutorial/

MacOS DS Dev Tutorials (unfinished) -
http://users.rcn.com/n8mobiles/extras/macday1.html

Homebrew Programmers Guide to the Nintendo DS (unfinished) -
http://www.dspassme.com/programmers_guide/tutorial/

DS Programming Guide -
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_1
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_2
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_3

General DS Links:

Aaron's Link Page (great list of well-orginized general DS links) -
http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/links.php

Cearn's Link Page (also a well orgainized page of links (mentions some good book refrences too)) -
http://user.chem.tue.nl/jakvijn/tonc/refs.htm

Another General DS Site (has info on python for the ds) -
http://www.dsdeveloper.co.nz/

Home of the Most Popular SDK (for DS and GBA) -
http://www.devkitpro.org

DS Video Modes Info -
http://tobw.net/dswiki/index.php?title=Graphic_modes

DS Homebrew Site -
http://dshb.fileplace.biz/

MTClib (for multi-thread applications)-
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page9.html

C/C++(and more!) Tutorials/eBooks:

General - http://www.programmingtutorials.com/

General eBooks - http://www.programmingebooks.tk/

C/C++ - http://cplus.about.com/od/beginnerctutoria1/l/blctut.htm
C/C++ - http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
C/C++ - http://devcentral.iftech.com/articles/C++/default.php

C/C++ eBooks - http://www.devkitpro.org/reading.shtml

C Specific - http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html
C Specific - http://www.cyberdiem.com/vin/tutorials.html

C++ Specific - http://www.intap.net/~drw/cpp/
C++ Specific - http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/C++/
C++ Specific - http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
C++ Specific - http://www.functionx.com/cpp/

C++ Tutorial for C Users - http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/cppcen.html

ASM Specific:

ARM GCC Inline Assembler Cookbook - http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/arm-inline-asm.html

GCC-Inline-Assembly-HOWTO - http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/GCC-Inline-Assembly-HOWTO.html#s4

ARM ASSEMBLER PROGRAMMING - http://www.heyrick.co.uk/assembler/

and of course, last but not least, the GCC manual, available from - http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

GBA Tutorials:

<NOTE FOR BEGINNERS> GBA games will run on the DS so learning to program the GBA will help out if you feel there is a lack of info on DS development. Plenty of resources are available.

TONC (Great Tutorial (even teaches mode 7 graphics programming)) -
http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/

An unpublished book using Visual HAM as the IDE (NOTE: If you are going to use this book use it beside Cearn's "The Annotated 'Programming the Nintendo GameBoy Advance: The Unofficial Guide'." It is really awesome that he did this. Thanks Cearn!) -
http://www.jharbour.com/gameboy/default.aspx

Good Tutorials (new home of The Pern Project) -
http://drunkencoders.com/index.php?system_id=2&page=Tutorials

Tutorial Using HAM -
http://www.aaronrogers.com/ham/

GBA Programming Tutorials Along With Some ARM Links (Mostly Outdated)-
http://www.gbajunkie.co.uk/

Short "Mode 7" Explanation-
http://www.taswegian.com/TwoHeaded/mode7.html[/url]

Last edited by jake2431 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 54 times in total

#69563 - FireSlash - Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:22 pm

It would be a good idea to link some good C/C++ tutorials as well ;)
_________________
FireSlash.net

#69564 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:34 pm

That is a good idea. I'll look for some. Do you know any off the top of your head(I use books so I don't know many)?

#69569 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 pm

Okay, I found a good bit of C/C++ tutorials(thanks for the idea :P). Does anyone else have any other types of links that they want me to add or some additions to what I've got?

#69579 - arog - Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:47 pm

Feel free to look over my links page for other stuff to add.

http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/links.php

- Aaron Rogers
http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/

#69581 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:08 pm

Wow thanks, that's a nice set of links. I will review them and add some as I get a chance.

Thanks,
-Jake

#69585 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:22 pm

Also, if anyone is reading through my first post above and sees any grammar errors let me know so that I can change them(I hate that). I'm not a great speller and had already spelled all of my "beginners" wrong.

#69622 - wintermute - Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm

why do people keep linking to that abomination J Harbour calls a book?

#69626 - jake2431 - Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:28 pm

I linked to it because whether or not you like it it does teach people who don't know much about gba programming. It helped me out tons. I still have a long way to go with gba programming, but I wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for that book. It may not be as good as TONC, but it is still a valuable tool for learning.

What exactly is it that you don't like about it (just currious)?

#69655 - wintermute - Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:52 pm

It teaches some extremely poor coding practices and build methodologies as well as being just plain wrong in various places.

Tonc *should* be the first port of call for any would be gba programmer wishing to deal with the hardware on their own.

#69661 - jake2431 - Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:28 am

Fair enough.

#79324 - Enira - Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Are there any tutorials available on the video modes, as wel as the vram in combination with both screens?
Most of the tutorials I've read only have an output on 1 screen.

#81078 - NinZine - Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:40 am

Lots of info on video here:
http://tobw.net/dswiki/index.php?title=Graphic_modes

Cheers!

PS. Hi everyone, first post! Though have been browsing quite a while DS.

#92021 - Kaibaten - Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:45 am

Is Aaron's PAlib tutorial really THAT dated? Well I can see it hasn't been updated for more than half a year but does it really matter that much? I checked the PAlib Wiki and it seems to be a little on the slow side for me... Aaron's tutorial looks like it's just what I needed. So which should I pick?

#92026 - jake2431 - Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:56 am

If you think aaron's tutorial would be better for you, then by all means use it. He recommended the other for up to date info, but I don't see why you couldn't use his and then later on if you find that it is lacking just check out the other source.

#92027 - jake2431 - Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:01 am

BTW. I haven't been visiting the forums much lately. So, if anyone knows any new DS dev links that aren't posted or if some of the links should be changed etc. Let me know and I will take care of it.

Thanks,
-Jake

#95842 - brad_262 - Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 am

so.. I think I am kinda out of my league here..i used homebrew on my psp since it first came out, but that was alot easyier...

where do i connect my Usb? lol i know there is not a usb port..but like, do i need some specail order ds cartridge to add homebrew? sorry for being so dumb, any help would be appreciated, ive browsed teh site and these forums for like 3 hours now, and am still completly lost..

#98724 - jake2431 - Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:44 am

http://dspassme.com/

#99220 - king501 - Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:43 am

wintermute wrote:It teaches some extremely poor coding practices and build methodologies as well as being just plain wrong in various places.

Tonc *should* be the first port of call for any would be gba programmer wishing to deal with the hardware on their own.
Even though I didn't agree with it before, now I?m totally of the same mind that J Harbour?s book isn't very good. I?m looking his demos and they are totally purposeless? And considering it was supposed to be a book for print, there are a lot of uneconomical pages and chapters that lead absolutely to nothing.

Tonc demos are a lot more significant and his website covers more interesting topics. However without offense, TONC lack of organization within his notes. Cearn is without a doubt a great coder and mathematician, but lack of performance when it concerns organizing notes and tutorials, mostly if we consider it should hel other beginners with hardware coding (if it was the purpose).

Maybe if cearn accept, I could help in a near future. Even though programming isn?t part of my talents (yet), organizing notes is one of my main skills. Besides, I?m already organizing notes and demos for myself out of TONC's website (the ones I understand though lol). Maybe I should share them if you?re interested.

#103784 - OOPMan - Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Well, having been doing some looking into assembly code as a result of the whole MTCLib port thing I located a couple of useful sources of info on the internet. Links follow:

ARM GCC Inline Assembler Cookbook: http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/arm-inline-asm.html

GCC-Inline-Assembly-HOWTO: http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/GCC-In ... TO.html#s4

ARM ASSEMBLER PROGRAMMING: http://www.heyrick.co.uk/assembler/

and of course, last but not least, the GCC manual, available from: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

Anyone looking to do any assembly for the DS using GCC will these links useful...

#104830 - TheWopr - Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Couldn't find this posted anywhere but i randomly stumbled upon this great tutorial, it seems like its still a work in progress but i found it useful.

http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_1
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_2
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_3

I listed them seperately because i couldn't find a link on the second to the third i just tried typing in 3 and it happened to be finished. Hope this helps

#104834 - jake2431 - Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:49 am

Posted! Thanks guys.

#104839 - dovoto - Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:39 am

You can navigate to my tutorials from the main page of my site http://www.drunkencoders.com by following the ds tutorials link on the left or just go to the dev-scene.com page, ds portal -> tutorials.

Yes they are most certainly a work in progress (i just began day 3 yesterday) and thank you for noticing them although I am not sure I was entirely ready for them to be noticed

#104844 - jake2431 - Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:11 am

Well, keep up the good work. The futures looking bright! :-)

#105056 - OOPMan - Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:03 pm

Dovoto, your tutorial is extremely well done. Keep up the good work. I found the memory map information particularly useful :-)

#106901 - OOPMan - Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:26 pm

Developers interested in using MTCLib to code multi-thread applications can find it here.

The library now supports the NDS under devkitPro r19b.

#107409 - Wonder Boy - Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Nice links OOPMan!

#111200 - OOPMan - Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Here's something useful I came across...

For those of you in need of some help with those dastardly function pointers take a look at this site...

There are even downloadable PS and PDF format files for offline help :-)

#115571 - jake2431 - Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:09 am

Okay, I know I don't update very often. In fact, I only update when people post new info here, as I am not actually coding on the GBA or NDS right now. I do, however, like to maintain this to help other people out and myself someday. So, I want to save the new guys/gals some time when that show up by putting the best tutorials right at the very top. I already know that the best tutorial for GBA dev is TONC, but what would you guys say the best for the DS is right now. The one being developed and linked over at Drunken Coders looks really nice, but would you guys say that their is enough information there to make it the best DS dev tutorial available now? Let's hear it.

#115586 - Lick - Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm

I think the libnds examples are the best resource to learn from. Also TONC, is perfectly fine because the DS hardware is a lot like GBA hardware. You just have to look at libnds-headers and gbatek to spot the differences.

If you only want tutorials, I'd vote for Pataters and the one linked at DrunkenCoders (which is Dev-Scene.com).

#115627 - jake2431 - Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 am

Hey, thanks a lot. I have never seen http://www.patatersoft.info/manual.html before... great.

#137831 - Cocodrilo - Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi!
Could someone please help me? I'm a bit stuck, and is i dont have any experience about this i'm asking for help.
When i try to compile libnds with the "make" command it says:
mkdir -p lib
make: mkdir: Command not found
make: *** [lib] error 127
I'm following Patatersofts guide.
I'm using Msys.

And also, i can programming in C++...

EDIT: nm, i managed to fix it...
_________________
/Coco

#137921 - Cocodrilo - Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:30 pm

I found Aaron palib with http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php better than Patatesofts guide... does somebody agree?
_________________
/Coco

#137926 - ThousandKnives - Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Cocodrilo wrote:
I found Aaron palib with http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php better than Patatesofts guide... does somebody agree?

Only if you're using paLib...? Patatersoft's tutorial is just DevKitPro.

Patetersoft's piece is pretty good particularly on the early end. Really imo there is no definative guide, you have to piece things together from about 16 different limited and half-finished guides.

I started off learning GBA since there were many more complete tutorials and since so many of the basics are the same for each, at least in principle.

#138623 - Cocodrilo - Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Well, i didn't find Patatersofts guide so good for newbies...
But pa_lib much better, may i've wrong?
_________________
/Coco

#141442 - Noda - Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

>OpenGL on DS -
>http://ethos.oddigytitanium.com/

The site show up only an "online status", but where is the tutorial/documentation?

Does someone know a good documentation on OpenGL on DS, as I need this to start and evaluate the feasability of my Image Synthesis project I have to do for my last year of study?

thanks :)

#148899 - theoxylo - Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Cocodrilo wrote:
Well, i didn't find Patatersofts guide so good for newbies...
But pa_lib much better, may i've wrong?

I'm a newb myself, but I can tell you that PALib is a higher-level library than libnds -- that means that it makes easier to do some things since the low-level implementation details are programmed (and hopefully tested) for you (e.g., managing sprite OAM). PALib is dependent on libnds, like an additional service layer in your application architecture.

I'm not sure what the community consensus is on PALib -- it seems that some look down on it. Personally, I prefer to start by learning the lower-level API (e.g. libnds) so I can try implementing some of that stuff myself. But I do see the value of higher-level libraries. Are there other libraries out there (besides PALib) for handling sprites, etc?

As for Patatersoft, the "manual" is the single best learning resource I've found. If you do some background study, you should be able to understand most of the "Orange Spaceship" tutorial and be well on your way. I'm still getting through it myself -- but the 2008 6.0 update added lots of good stuff!

#148905 - theoxylo - Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:24 pm

jake2431 wrote:
DS tutorials:
DS Programming Guide -
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_1
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_2
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS_Tutorials_Day_3

Links should be as follows:
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_1
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_2
http://www.dev-scene.com/NDS/Tutorials_Day_3

#149710 - jake2431 - Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 am

Thanks. I will change that ASAP. Which will be tomorrow because I have to get off the computer now.

#155796 - Typhox - Sun May 04, 2008 12:47 pm

I think http://osdl.sourceforge.net/main/documentation/misc/nintendo-DS/homebrew-guide/HomebrewForDS.html also is a good nds-homebrew documentation...

#155961 - nsm333 - Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 am

check the palib thread. funny as heck, and educational to boot!

#159247 - Holland - Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:25 am

jake2431 wrote:

OpenGL on DS -
http://ethos.oddigytitanium.com/

Another DS 3d Tutorial -
http://delfare.pizz.biz/tutoEN.htm

both of these links are dead. :(

Last edited by Holland on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

#159255 - kusma - Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:02 am

Holland wrote:
OpenGL on DS -
http://ethos.oddigytitanium.com/

There's no OpenGL on the DS. There's videoGL that looks and feels a bit like OpenGL (but is really really far away if you're really familiar with OpenGL), but it's no real OpenGL. That difference is important to understand.

#159257 - Holland - Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:59 am

kusma wrote:
Holland wrote:
OpenGL on DS -
http://ethos.oddigytitanium.com/

There's no OpenGL on the DS. There's videoGL that looks and feels a bit like OpenGL (but is really really far away if you're really familiar with OpenGL), but it's no real OpenGL. That difference is important to understand.

Yeah...I figured it wasn't OpenGL for the DS. I was assuming it was an OpenGL-ish API for 3D graphics on the ARM9 hardware. :)

Either way I was just pointing out that the links were dead. I was looking for some tutorials on the subject and figured I'd make it known that they weren't working.

#159264 - kusma - Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:16 am

Holland wrote:
Either way I was just pointing out that the links were dead. I was looking for some tutorials on the subject and figured I'd make it known that they weren't working.

Oh, right. I guess I should have addressed this to jake2431, then.

#159444 - Holland - Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 am

jake2431 wrote:
DS Homebrew Site -
http://dshb.fileplace.biz/

another dead link...by the way. :)

#159782 - vuurrobin - Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:43 pm

Quote:
C++ Based DS Dev -
http://www.dspassme.com/programmers_guide/tutorial/

Homebrew Programmers Guide to the Nintendo DS (unfinished) -
http://www.dspassme.com/programmers_guide/tutorial/

the same link/tutorial is listed twice in the beginning post. seems unnecessary to me. maybe remove 1 of them?

and what do you think is the best tutorial for any beginning ds programmer?

edit: and a link to add

http://www.liranuna.com/nds-2d-tuts/

edit2: I found a link to the libnds documentation, which isn't in the first post. dunno how up to date it is.

http://libnds.devkitpro.org/

#174062 - dheart88 - Sun May 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I'm a newbie.. but I want to share my experienced here.. here's my development blog:

http://cupu2cupu.drunkencoders.com

I hope it'll be helpful

#174865 - cyberant - Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:16 pm

"How to make a bouncing ball game":
http://ekid.nintendev.com/bouncy/

It's a tutorial with nice visual memory & screen representations. Feels beginner friendly.

However, it may be a bit outdated (using irqInit etc which I googled that it isn't used anymore) and the last two parts seems to be missing (boingy sound/getting help).

#175077 - Programmer2000 - Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 am

Is there a compiler that lets you program DS games in BASIC, like DragonBASIC for GBA?

Any help would be appreciated.

#175493 - RedJiggly - Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:24 am

The link to openGL on DS is dead... Too bad, since I really was curious about it.

#176216 - dorianz - Sun May 15, 2011 5:39 am

A lot of links are dead )
astigmatism

#177642 - t377y000 - Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 am

dorianz wrote:
A lot of links are dead )
astigmatism

indeed